Tuesday, August 2

Cornish Game Hen // A Love Affair

When I was a kid my dad (who is one of the best cooks I know) would make Cornish Game Hen on a very very rare occasion and it was always something we looked forward to. In my kid memory I remember seeing them all prepared in our clay baking dish ready to into the oven and my mouth would water! I loved going with him to the store to help pick them out; we would look through several to find the perfect 4 for our (then smaller) family.

I hold that close to my heart. You could say that I have had a love affair with CGH since I was a tot. When Andrew and I moved in we stocked our freezer and we ended up with like 6 CGH. We've been really selective with when we eat them because they're such a big deal. We were going to have two for our 1 year but, I had to be a jerk and slip on a rock effectively making us come home early, and we just now got around to cooking them. So I wanted to share the way we prepared them this time with you guys! It was honestly one of the most amazing meals we've had at home. We had to put the dogs in the bathroom and the cats outside. That's how good it was.

You will need: 2 game hen, carrots, potatoes, onions, butter, spices, tin foil.

On a cutting board:
Pull the guts out
Cut 2 Cornish game hen in half

With your 4 halves:
Rinse with cold water and pat dry

Rub your game hen with (flavor to taste):
A pinch of basil
Savory seasoning
Salt
Pepper 
A squirt of lemon juice
Garlic

Cut into bite size pieces:
Potatoes
Carrots
Onion - Red or Yellow

Pull out enough tin foil to house your game hen half, potatoes, carrots, and onion. Put then all in, add some butter, and roll them into a packet. Set your oven to 425 and cook for about 45 minutes or until your game hen juice runs clear and your carrots are tender.

There you go! And for dessert you could try making these, another of my favorites! Let me know if you try this, I'd love to know how yours turned out!
Happy Cooking!
xo Shannon

1 comment:

cb said...

oh man my mouth is watering! thanks for sharing the recipe, i will have to try this out!!

xo,
cb

Post a Comment

How lovely! I love to read your comments and I'll be sure to return the favor! I'm glad you're here! xo, S