Thursday, March 31

Blast from the Past

I love history. It's one of my favorite things. When I was first at Western and trying to figure out what the heck I was going to be when I grew up, I entertained the thought of being a history major. What fun it would be, to learn all of this cool stuff in class and write interesting papers.... But, what the heck are you when you grow up? I'm not exactly cut out to be a teacher (unless it's 4&5 year olds), and I don't really want to work in a museum....

That leads me to my story. I used to LOVE American Girl. Samantha was my favorite, I've always really enjoyed learning about Victorian times so I fell in love with her. I think I was in elementary school and I told my mom that I wanted one, so she made a deal with me. I had to come up with half the money and she would match the other half and I would be able to get the doll. If you ever had a wish and a goal when you were a kid then you know how big of a deal it was when that doll showed up at my house. My very own piece of mail, with my own name on it containing my very own Samantha. I played with her all the time and eventually came to own most of the books that come along with the doll. It's been a LONG time since I really thought about the dolls or the books, until...
via


I came across all of my books in my sister's room. I'm re-reading all of them. I just read Felicity Learns a Lesson and enjoyed it immensely. It's so magical to go back to a book you read when you were 8 or 9 and love it just as much as you did when you were a wee one. They're chock full of fun history facts and traditional ways of life. When we visit Williamsburg, VA and go to Colonial Williamsburg it always makes me think of Felicity and fun things I learned about colonial life through the books.

via
Do you have anything fun from your childhood that makes your heart smile to think about? I'd love to hear about yours too!

xo Shannon

No comments:

Post a Comment

How lovely! I love to read your comments and I'll be sure to return the favor! I'm glad you're here! xo, S